A new press release shows highlights from a recent international study about the U.S. Presidential Election.
International Respondents Favor Hillary Clinton, Believe Trump is Not Qualified
In a Trump vs. Kanye Election, Roughly Half Say They’d Choose Yeezus
New York, NY (March 14, 2016) — Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN), parent company of international brands including MTV and Comedy Central, today released the results of a survey examining international views on the 2016 United States presidential election. Of the nearly 2,000 international respondents from countries including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Mexico and Malaysia – almost 70 percent say the next US President will have a major impact on the world, and half say he or she will have a big impact on their lives.
Additional findings include:
- International respondents most recognize Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, and favor Clinton:
- If these respondents could vote, Clinton would take the position as the Commander in Chief over Trump, maintaining over 70 percent support.
- Trump is perceived as least qualified of all candidates (63 percent say he is not qualified to be President).
- The French are toughest on Trump, with over 80 percent responding that he is unqualified.
- Top adjectives used to describe the two:
- Clinton: educated (43 percent), diplomatic (42 percent), competent (42 percent) and leader (36 percent)
- Trump: egotistical (52 percent), disrespectful (51 percent), offensive (50 percent) and bully (35 percent)
- Mexican respondents had the strongest reactions to Donald Trump, with 73 percent describing him as disrespectful, 72 percent as offensive and 69 percent as egotistical.
- Over half (56 percent) believe Clinton didn’t do anything wrong related to her email or are uninterested in the topic altogether.
- When asked who they’d rather have a drink with, Clinton wins over Trump (66 percent vs. 34 percent).
- In Malaysia, respondents are equally split between the two (50 percent vs. 50 percent)
- Clinton is viewed as most qualified for the Presidency, with Marco Rubio landing in second place:
- Hillary Clinton (66 percent)
- Marco Rubio (58 percent)
- Bernie Sanders (54 percent)
- Ted Cruz (53 percent)
- Donald Trump (37 percent)
- In a throw back to Kanye West’s announcement during the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards:
- Only 15 percent say that Kanye West would make a good President of the US.
- But, if the choice were between Trump and West, more respondents say West would make a better President (53 percent vs. 47 percent).
- Among 16-24 year olds: nearly 60 percent say West would make a better President than Trump (57 percent vs. 43 percent).
- In Mexico, more than three-quarters (76 percent) favor West. However, the two would tie in Germany, with respondents split down the middle for each (50 percent vs. 50 percent).
- Nearly one in five (19 percent) internationally think Kim Kardashian would make a good First Lady.
- This is higher in the U.K., where one in four respondents say that she would.
- Asked if there were any celebrities who should run for President of the United States:
- Respondents favor George Clooney (35 percent).
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt come in as second and third, respectively (34 percent and 30 percent).
- When broken down by country, Angelina Jolie beats Clooney in both the UK (42 percent) and Germany (42 percent).
- Respondents slightly favor Beyoncé over Taylor Swift for a Presidential run (25 percent vs. 22 percent).
For more on Viacom International Media Network’s Insights, go to internationalinsights.viacom.com.
Source: Viacom International Insights, online survey of people ages 16+, 1,941 international respondents in Mexico, UK, France, Germany and Malaysia. All questions about the candidates, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are based on those who are aware of each person.
About Viacom International Media Networks
Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN), a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), is comprised of many of the world’s most popular multimedia entertainment brands, including MTV, MTV LIVE HD, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, Paramount Channel, and more. Viacom brands reach more than 3.4 billion cumulative subscribers in 180+ countries and territories via more than 200 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties, in 40 languages. Keep up with VIMN news by visiting the VIMN PR Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/VIMN_PR. For more information about Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com, blog.viacom.com and the Viacom Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/Viacom.