In the Philippines and Indonesia, Music Festivals are Powerful, Vibrant, Emotional and Shareable Experiences
Recently, Viacom undertook a study aiming to understand consumer expectations of music festivals around the world, as well as their perception of brand involvement at these festivals. We spoke to 10,000 respondents aged 13-54 via an online survey in 10 countries, which included the Philippines and Indonesia. Here’s what we found:
Significant numbers of people are going to music festivals.
- 24% of 13-54 year olds in the Philippines and 29% in Indonesia say they have been to a music festival in the past 12 months
Once committed to a festival, consumers will spend whatever it takes for a good experience.
- In the Philippines, the average spend is $88
- In Indonesia, $94 is the average spent on tickets as well as food, drink, travel, merch, etc.
Music remains central, but a truly satisfying experience is so much more than the music!
- People are willing to pay for enhanced experiences at music festivals. (74% in the Philippines and 69% in Indonesia)
- Enhanced experiences can range from better facilities (restrooms, toilet facilities) to VIP exclusives (meet and greets with bands/artists, priority access to the festival site, backstage pass, etc.)
- Festivalgoers are willing to travel and stay. 66% of respondents from Indonesia and 65% of respondents from the Philippines said they have been to a music festival lasting at least 2 days in the past 12 months
Festivalgoers love the music – and experiencing it with others. That sense of connection isn’t just limited to the festival.
- 96% in Indonesia and 95% in the Philippines agree a great line-up of artists is an essential part of any music festival
- 93% in Indonesia and 95% in the Philippines agree music festivals are a great way to connect with like-minded people
- 91% in Indonesia and 85% in the Philippines agree it’s important to capture and share experiences at a music festival on social media
Meeting festivalgoers’ high expectations is crucial to success – standing out and delivering in a crowded market requires big investment.
The perfect music festival has three core elements – line-up, production and location
- Add 3 more elements (logistics, food, scale) for an even better experience
Brands are integral to music festivals, particularly if their involvement means a better deal
- 99% in Indonesia and 99% in the Philippines agree that brands supporting or partnering with a festival were able to improve the festival in some way
- 92% in Indonesia and 77% in the Philippines definitely want to have brands at music festival if it means cheaper tickets
When brands get it right, both the festival and the brand benefit.
- % of festivalgoers who did this after encountering a brand at a music festival
- Felt more positive about them: Indonesia – 62%, Philippines – 46%
- Talked positively about them: Indonesia – 46%, Philippines – 44%
- More likely to buy/use them in the future: Indonesia – 43%, Philippines – 40%
- Looked up more info on them: Indonesia – 39%, Philippines – 31%